When is a good time to begin brushing your child’s teeth? The truth is that as soon as the very first tooth erupts above the gum line, it is exposed to the dangers of the world and must be cared for. Bacteria is very likely to appear in a child’s mouth due to their proclivity to put things in it. Since keeping their mouths free of contamination is a daunting task, at least ensure their teeth are kept safe. Here are some helpful reminders:
– For children under the age of three, a standard tooth brushing session should only need a dab of toothpaste about the size of a grain of rice.
– Never share or swap cleaning tools or utensils between yourself and your child.
– Bring your child in to see their pediatrician at Copper Cove Pediatric Dentistry, before they are one year of age for a comprehensive oral examination.
– Your child’s first tooth will appear between the age of 6 to 10 months, at which time daily oral health habits such as brushing need to take place.
– For children from 3 to 6 years old, a standard tooth brushing session should only need a dab of toothpaste about the size of a pea.
– Try to use a toothbrush that is always clean and has soft bristles. Hard bristles can be abrasive and damage their teeth and gums.
– Look for toothpaste products that have the ADA Seal of Acceptance from the American Dental Association, or use products that have been approved or recommended by your dentist.
– Your child will need help brushing their teeth until they are at least six years old. Teach your child every day how to properly care for their teeth with safe and effective brushing habits.
If you would like to schedule a pediatric examination, simply call our pediatric office at 801-446-2080 for an appointment in South Jordan, Utah. Dr. Troy Hardy and the rest of our team look forward to helping correct your child’s smile!